Mommy Chronicles

A funny look at motherhood and the mayhem it causes.

November 27, 2006

All About Alice

Hungry?

I frequently feel guilty that I wrote a whole book about Lucy, and Alice gets... what? A grocery list?

So I was showing her the following picture of me, taken while I was pregnant with her:



I guess my intention was to let her know how much I wanted her, and how much I love her. I don't have any pregnancy pictures of me and Lucy, after all, so this is something that is Alice's alone.

I said to her, "Look Alice, there you are! In my tummy!"

She was quiet for a moment. Then she said, very earnestly, "Mommy, did you eat me?"

* * *



The Eye of the Beholder

I caught Alice with my deodorant this afternoon. She was taking little pinches of it and wiping it on her pants.

"Alice," I said, "you're making a mess!"

"No I'm not," she replied. "I'm making art."


* * *


Barkflap

A few weeks ago, Adam, Lucy and Alice were out on the sidewalk, breathing in the fall air.

"What does fall smell like?" Adam asked.

"Barkflap," Alice answered.

A few days ago, Lucy, Alice and I were holding hands and walking to kindergarten.

"Mom," Lucy said, "What's that smell?"

"Barkflap," Alice answered.

"No," Lucy said. "It smells like skunk."

"Well," I said, "Daddy thought he smelled skunk, too. So it's possible we have a neighborhood skunk."

"It's possible," Alice replied, "that we have a neighborhood barkflap."

You know, I think she might be right.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home